Παρασκευή 13 Νοεμβρίου 2015

INFINITIVES-GERUNDS Γ' ΠΡΟΧΩΡΗΜΕΝΟΙ

GERUNDS and INFINITIVES                                        

NAME………………………………………….CLASS………………………DATE………………..
  1. I’m taking this course
a. taking the train as the traffic was
terrible.
  1. Smoking
b. to see a dentist.
  1. I find it difficult
C .fresh fruit and vegetables regularly
will help you to stay healthy.
  1. She was worried about
d. taking a course in Japanese next year.
  1. I am thinking of
e. to improve my English.
  1. I can't
f. is outlawed in restaurants in many countries nowadays
  1. It’s expensive
g. do four hours homework every night.
  1. She suggested         
h. to stay in five-star hotels.
  1. I went to the supermarket
i. understand why some people
find grammar so difficult.
  1. Eating
j. to buy some bread.
  1. I’ve got toothache so I need
k. failing the exam.
  1. They always made me
l. to remember new words.

Choose the correct endings

1. Prepositions are usually followed by  a gerund / a full infinitive / a bare infinitive
2. Adjectives are usually followed by  a gerund / a full infinitive / a bare infinitive
3. Modal auxiliary verbs are followed by a gerund / a full infinitive / a bare infinitive
4. When a verb is the subject of a sentence, it is usually a gerund / a full infinitive / a bare infinitive
5. When a verb is used to say why somebody does something, it is usually a gerund / a full infinitive / a bare infinitive
6. When there are two verbs in a sentence, the second one is a gerund / a full infinitive / a bare infinitive / it varies
7. A few verbs such as 'make' and 'let' are followed by a gerund / a full infinitive / a bare infinitive

Verbs followed by a gerund or infinitive with a change in meaning:

forget I forgot to meet him.(I didn’t meet him because I forgot to do it.)
I forgot meeting him.(I don’t have the memory of meeting him before.)
go on
He went on to learn English and French.(He ended one period of time before this.)
He went on learning English and French.(He continued learning the languages.)
quit    
She quit to work here.(She quit another job in order to work here.)
She quit working here.(She quit her job here. She doesn’t work here anymore.)
regret
I regret promising to help you.(I’m sorry that I made the promise.)
I regret to tell you that we can't hire you.(I’m telling you now, and I’m sorry.)


remember    
She remembered to visit her grandmother.(She didn’t forget to visit.)
She remembered visiting her grandmother.(She had memories of this time.)
stop   
I stopped to call you.(I interrupted another action in order to call you.)
I stopped calling you.(I stopped this activity. Maybe we had a fight.)
try      
I tried to open the window.(I attempted this action but didn’t succeed.)
I tried opening the window.(This was one option I sampled. Maybe the room was hot.)

1.      I tried __________a ticket, but they had all sold out. ( get)
2.      I tried ____________ to her personally, but I couldn't persuade her.(speak)
3.      Jon, I have some bad news- I regret _____ that your application has been unsuccessful.(say)
4.      She stopped ______ when she got married.(smoke)
5.      I regret ____________ so rude last night.(be)
6.      Remember _____________ her at lunchtime.(call)
7.      I don't remember _________ the cooker off before I left.(turn)
8.      We can't go on ___________ like this- we must find a better way.(work)

Gerund or Infinitive – Fill in the correct form.

  1. We encouraged her __________________ (succeed in ) __________________ (become) a top player.
  2. It's no good __________________ (force) him to go with us.
  3. I promised __________________ (care) for the cat but I'm not much good at __________________ (babysit).
  4. The people thanked me for __________________ (offer) __________________ (help) them.
  5. I begged her __________________ (not accuse) me of __________________ (ruin) her hairstyle by __________________ (try) __________________ (kiss) her.
  6. It is not worth __________________ (help) him __________________ (do) the job.
  7. I let him __________________ (choose) between __________________ (fly) and__________________ (take) the train.
  8. The film was really worth __________________ (see) so we made Mary __________________ (go) to the movies with us.
  9. Her forced us __________________ (accept) his offer by __________________ (raise) it by 5 %.
  10. Normally I enjoy __________________ (go) out but today I'd prefer __________________ (stay) indoors.
  11. She promised __________________ (not object) to his __________________ (smoke).
  12. They continued __________________ (eat) after the interruption.
  13. I am not in the habit of __________________ (smoke) in the car.
  14. Ann reminded me __________________ (finish) my work on time.
  15. He'd better __________________ (get) used to __________________ (work) harder.
16. I am capable of __________________ (stand) on my head and __________________ (play) the saxophone.
  1. You'd better __________________ (start) __________________ (dig) the garden.
  2. I expected someone __________________ (pick) up these papers.
  3. The Romans were quite happy about Hannibal __________________ (not attack) Rome.
  4. It was interesting __________________ (watch) our cat __________________ (play).

20 We have taught our children __________________ (wash) their hands before __________________ (eat).

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου

THINK TEEN 2, UNIT 1 ,UNITY IN DIVERSITY

https://ai.invideo.io/watch/cbSRTnxEU_l